Virtual USP 800 Hazardous Drugs Compounding Certification
What is USP 800?
USP 800 compounding is also known as hazardous drugs (HD) compounding. The goal of USP 800 is to protect patients and healthcare workers from exposure to HD compounds that may pose a significant health risk if stored, compounded, delivered or administered inappropriately.
Additionally, USP 800 provides best practices for handling of HD’s, delivery of the final product, storage and packaging of hazardous drugs.
What is a hazardous drug?
A hazardous drug is identified as hazardous if it meets the NIOSH criteria of being:
- If there’s risk of reproductive toxicity
- If there’s a risk of organ toxicity
- If there’s a risk of gentoxicity
Prerequisites for signing up for the USP 800 hazardous drugs certification training UAN # 0384-0000-21-002-B07-T & 0384-0000-21-002-B07-P
Successfully completing the USP 797 IV certification training or prior experience in USP 797 sterile compounding. You must have sound knowledge of USP 797 sterile compounding principles before signing up for the 20 CE credits USP 800 hazardous drugs compounding certification training.
What are some of the topics you will learn about in the self-paced USP 800 hazardous drugs certification training?
Keep in mind the entire course is very comprehensive. The topics below list a small portion of the overall training. The training is entirely online including the practical validations and the training is self-paced.
- Everything about USP 800
- Aseptic technique
- Waste disposal
- Spill control
- Risk assessment
- Medical surveillance
- Isolators and biological safety cabinets
- Engineering controls
- Facility cleaning protocols
- Transport and receiving of hazardous drugs
- ASHP guidelines
- NIOSH/OSHA guidelines
- Supplemental reading materials from USP, ASHP & NPTA
What else is included in the hazardous drugs compounding training?
- Final exam
- Practical hands-on training
- Final skills validation evaluation over video
- Receiving your nationally recognized certificate from a ACPE accredited training provider
**This course is no longer offered**