USP 800 Minimum PPE Requirements For Sterile Compounding
- Gloves – must be powder-free and free of defects and comply with ASTM D6978.
- Gowns – must be disposable, have long sleeves, resist permeability to HD’s, elastic or knit cuff, closed seams, must close in the back.
- Eye protection goggles – must always be worn, although, as of October 2019, USP guidance is unclear for personnel working in C-PEC’s.
- Face shield – worn in combination with goggles.
- Respiratory protection – Fit tested NIOSH approved N95 mask is required.
Image source: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Aura-Health-Care-Particulate-Respirator-and-Surgical-Mask-1870-N95-120-EA-Case/?N=5002385+3294348458&preselect=3293786499&rt=rud
- If unpacking HD containers that are not made of plastic an elastomeric half-mask with a multi-gas cartridge should be worn.
Image source: https://www.nap.edu/read/25275/chapter/4#50
- Head, hair, shoe, beard, and sleeve covers – are required and 2 pairs of shoe covers must be worn when compounding HD’s. Second pair must be worn before entry into C-SEC.